Saturday, February 25, 2017

Forty Hands Cafe, Tiong Bahru's Brunch Heaven

Strolling around Tiong Bahru area, you could find thousands of hidden gems; petite coffee shops, bakeries, or even hawkers selling spoilers for your palate. It's just like another alley, another surprise, simply the reason why I loved going to this place so much. It's always able to make me feel the real Singapore ambiance as I walked through the arrays of vintage houses, met the Singaporeans passing by, and doubtlessly having the current ones. 

Located just few blocks away from the well-known Plain Vanilla, it's so easy to find this tiny coffee shop. It had very limited number of seats with 'hyper-efficient' space. I literally meant it when I said this as it seemed like one table's so close to another. I couldn't even take any single picture of the venue as the alleys were so narrow, I guessed even hard for 2 people walking at the same time so forget about getting good snaps of the place deep frowned. 



Coming at brunch time, we had to end up finding the venue being so packed and no single chair left at the indoor space. Even for the outdoor, we had to wait for quite some time before able to get the table vacant.  Actually, I've been to this brunch place around 3 years ago, yet I haven't started blogging at that time. I remembered finding it from surfing around, trying to find great places for brunch when I was about to visit Singapore. Passing several years, seemed like nothing really changed, everything looked exactly the same, even the eye-catchy giant trash bin located in front of the place, which came in coffee cup shape. 


Since the first visit, I've fallen in love with 40 Hands' brunch dishes, which were mostly eggs-based. So I surely didn't miss this chance, ordering two of those whose main ingredients were those beautiful yolk burst!

Eggs Cocotte (SGD 18)



Portobello mushrooms and truffle oil? I was like 'are you kidding me?'. I didn't even need a single sec to say I wanna go for it. My spontaneous decision to order this dish turned out excellent. The mushrooms were perfectly chewy and that mind-blowing truffle oil aroma was flawlessly infused in the mixture of runny poached eggs and sauteed spinach. Indulging blend of components and marriage of flavors to be enjoyed with the side toast. 

Eggs Benedict (SGD 19)


Still with eggs but with the 'four-leg protein', these eggs benedict were like enjoying steak and eggs on top of toasted buns. Juicy and flavorful meat laying beautifully under the faultlessly cooked poached eggs.  Adding more happiness (or some might call it fats), there resided the spicy roasted potatoes right next to the main dish. The hot sensation delivered complete mix of taste from this single dish. 

Salmon Hash (SGD 20)



Meet my other crush, Salmon Hash, which might look the least appealing, yet tasted as tantalizing as the prior two. Dice-cut poached salmon in creamy potato and mustard sauce. Hmmm, perhaps I would call this dish the winner among all others we had on the table. The perfectly pink salmon was so tender, and the sauce was so addicting that I couldn't stop having another toast-cut dipped into it and landing in my mouth. 

Hot Piccolo (SGD 5)

Being able to completely satisfy me by its brunch menu, unfortunately didn't mean that I was also mesmerized by the drink, particularly the coffee. It didn't go in synergy with my preference for coffee as I found it too acidic. Despite I loved the aroma and the bold coffee flavor, I thought it would be more lovely when it wasn't as sour as this :). But who knows if your palate do fancy the coffee with high acidity? Or perhaps I should go for something lighter like Cappuccino? Well, maybe next time *wink*


When you're after cafe with palatable brunch courses, and new places were not mandatory in your criteria, Forty Hands could never be a wrong choice to go for ;)


Taste: 8.5/10
Place: 7/10
Service: 7.5/10
Price: 8/10


Thanks for Reading! :)


FORTY HANDS
Address: 78 Yong Siak Street, Singapore
Phone: (+65) 6225 8545
Operating Hours: Mon - Sun 7.30am - 5.30pm


Find me on:
Instagram . Facebook . Twitter
Inputs & comments: jessicagaby@ymail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment