Monday, March 16, 2020

Ole & Steen

Not a loyal fan of cinnamon, I was kinda picky when it came to this particular ingredient since indeed I ended up loving some of those I tried, but not few cases hating them as well. Given this, when I first spotted Ole and Steen’s iconic Cinnamon Social, I honestly admitted the look was so appetizing yet it took me awhile thinking if I was about giving it a try or not. 




Calling it a coincidence, last weekend I was so excited with my plan visiting Victoria and Albert museum. Then I tried to look for where to spoil my palate nearby  the museum area. As Ole and Steen finally appears as one of the choices, I right away recalled the appealing Cinnamon Social and there I was, being the first timer for this cafe. 

I was happy figuring out the place was sizable and apparently comfy enough for spending longer time. I could see some people chilling, others working, and remaining killing time reading. So far I rarely found this kind of cafe in London as others I’d visited mostly provided petite space where people mostly just took away their foods or did quick dining session. I kinda missed my habit spending my entire afternoon in Starbucks working as I just felt myself more energized sitting out-of-home. 


Not only spacious first floor, they even had the upper level area which was able to accommodate quite large group of people as well. I wished I could have it nearby the office, prolly not to even dine it but simply stopped by, grabbing my breakie. 



The options they provided were literally rich, from savory to sweet ones, from heavy meals to light bites, from pastry to cakes. One of the best things that they made happened was the fact that they served various samples of the pastries, which they regularly changed every time they finished each set. So regardless I only ordered two dishes from the menu, I got the chance to try many others. 




Roast Beef on Open Rye (£ 6.5)


Anyone who’s a fan of beef here?? Oh yeah, I could see many, and for sure count me in! Sliced in just the right thickness and cooked rare, the meat was tender and juicy. The gorgeous ‘pinkish’ slices were succulently seasoned and well-paired to the mushroom and Grana Padano. I would say the proteins were served very generously that there would be no single bite of the rye came without those toppings. Not to mention, the crispy shallots! YES, you heard me right, CRISPY SHALLOTS! If some of you might think they're just like 'final condiments', for me this particular ingredient stepped up the taste and made it even became richer - also given the fact that I'd been a big big fan of crispy shallots even since I was a kid. So anytime you fell into dilemma in picking the savory option in Ole & Steen, you now had the perfect answer to your doubt right in your pocket.

Cinnamon Social Slice (£ 3.1)


Here it comes, the Creme de la creme! The star to the stage, Ole & Steen's one and only Cinnamon Social! Being sold in the whole portion, you needn't worry as it's also offered in slices. Just one reminder, when it's said a slice, the size was actually quite huge. Available in the signature cinnamon flavor as well as chocolate, my pick was surely the cinnamon just because the tester got me sold right away.


While some of you might say you're not a cinnamon lover, well wait until you gave this a try. The fluffy pastry was served in the right sweetness level, and impeccably complemented by that crispy sugar-coating on top. The cinnamon taste was well-balanced by the vanilla custard, and that's also why I thought it would suit all taste buds. If I recommended the earlier dish to be chosen for the savory pick, then here's your sweet ending!

Spandauer (£ 3)


Alternatively, they also had this Spandauer, which was basically the earlier cinnamon social without the cinnamon; so you would have the vanilla custard at the center of the danish pastry. This would be another lovely one to opt for.

All in all, for you who had known me well, you would have guessed it right that this kind of place was surely my piece of heaven on earth. I really couldn't wait to have my other bite on the 'SOCIALS', name it the chocolate, almond, or the favorite cinnamon!


Taste: 8/10
Place: 7.5/10
Service: 7/10
Price: 7.5/10



Thanks for reading! :)


OLE & STEEN
Address: 92 Kensington High Street, London, W8 4SH (and many other locations)
Phone: (+44) 20 3955 7448
Operating Hours:  Mon - Fri 7.30am - 9pm, Sat - Sun 8am - 9pm


No comments:

Post a Comment