Sunday, May 27, 2018

On Lok Yun [BANGKOK]

A fan of Singaporean-style breakie? Yeppp that all-time favorite soft boiled eggs and toast. Located in the same region of Southeast Asia, apparently Bangkok did serve those demanding this morning delicacy. One of the well-known old-style ones was On Lok Yun, residing not to distant to the city center, but couldn’t really be said as the center of the crowd. The buildings next to it were simply like old shophouses selling various kinds of products. 


I wasn’t sure how long this place had been there, but I was really sure it’s been standing for years, since the Milo cans displayed on its shelves did tell me that fact from their faded colors. 

Looking like a very traditional family business, the place was a very humble one with simple seatings and big kitchen at the back, which looked extremely busy during the opening hours. The stall was such early-bird, opening since 5am in the morning everyday. Since this type of dishes were indeed more suitable for breakie, it did close pretty early at 4pm.  Well, starting the day earlier did make them deserved ending it earlier, wasn’t it? ;)




I was quite sure the lady serving me was one of the owners, and for me her hospitality was first-class! She tried her best communicating with me in English despite I could tell she wasn’t that fluent. She even came up with some recommendations on what were the must-haves knowing that I was a tourist, including briefing me how I should enjoy my order best. 

One iconic fact I found here, the place seemed to be very famous among tourists visiting Bangkok. They even had Thai menu and dedicated English menu. Another interesting one, no matter what you ordered, you would always get the free tea served to start your meal set.


French Toast (Small - THB 35 / Large - THB 70)



First one landed on the table was this French Toast, which looked totally different with what I earlier had in my imagination. I was having bread coated in butter and toasted, accompanied by several toppings as the companions. Nevertheless, it looked more like a toasted egg-coated bread, but surprisingly I finally figured out that other places in Thailand did have similar type of French Toast, which I did meet in my hotel breakfast. OK no further complaint then, it might be their style indeed which simply wasn’t for my palate LOL. 


Bread with Kaya (THB 25)



Hands up for those who loved Kaya!! Yesss that infamous egg and coconut mixture in the form of spreads, some made it thicker while some thinner. Some loved stronger coconut flavor, whereas the other wanted something more ‘eggy’. On Lok Yun had its own version, which my palate felt like being at the balanced level of coconut and egg taste as neither of them going stronger and overcoming the other. The texture was pretty thin, and it went well, mixed with milk when served. I wasn’t sure if it’s evaporated milk or not, but I was just trying to make my wild guess based on what I tasted. 


The spotlight owner was surely the super moist and fluffy bread which I couldn’t stop munching ever since I took my first piece. It’s so soft like cotton that I could feel it melt in my mouth. As they served it already diced-cut, it became like easily eaten sweet delight. Oh geez I could imagine having this while watching movies. I could say bye to my big-crush popcorn LOL. 

Iced Thai Coffee (THB 25)



Having had liters of Thai Tea I guessed in just couple of days, I chose to try their coffee so I could get myself exposed to the real Thai Coffee as well. This old-style coffee mixed with both condensed and evaporated milk, was quite refreshing one, with bold coffee flavor yet fortunately not acidic at all. It might suit best those who didn’t like their coffee being sweet, but for me I expected it to be slightly sweeter. Other than that, it’s surely lovely to accompany the sweet bread, giving the right balance to the overall taste. 


This iconic place was doubtlessly must-visit! No wonder it’s so packed and having high turnover, not only visited by tourists but also locals. Authentic Thai taste and experience to be enjoyed <3.


Taste: 7.5/10
Place: 6.5/10
Service: 8.5/10
Price: 8.5/10



Thanks for reading! :)


ON LOK YUN
Address: 72 Charoen Krung Road, Talat Noi, Samphanthawong, Bangkok
Phone: (+66) 2223 9621
Operating Hours: Mon - Sun 5am - 4pm


Find me on:

No comments:

Post a Comment