Sunday, February 23, 2020

Brixton Laundry

The nature of human, having no option got you confused, but having too much options drew you even into deeper dilemma. This pretty much represented me on a Friday night, trying to think of where to spend my Saturday brunch. Yes, being a newbie to the city got me exposed to so many choices as I did keep myself opened to all kind of information I could find through all media. With the long long list, I finally ended up 'requesting the help' from some infamous sites in picking which place I should go to earlier. Yep, when in doubt, opt for the ones where the crowd went to. Using this reference, I then got to shorter list of alternatives, from which I asked my friend to make the decision. 

This Saturday was quite special (and I would call it a spirit-booster one) as I met my friend, whom I might haven't seen ever since the graduation day. Well yeah, you wouldn't wanna know how many years I was talking about. Not only because it's another premiere visit I made to a cafe in this city, the meet up itself was indeed another excitement for me. 



Occupying a sizable two-storey old building in Brixton area, Brixton Laundry might take you around 5-minute walk from the Brixton station. In case you're wondering if the 'laundry' in the cafe name did have something to do with its literal meaning, yes that's indeed the case that back then this building was actually used for a family-run laundry business for almost 120 years before they finally closed down in 2014. Five years later in 2019, they opened back the door, only that this time it's to serve all the hungry tummy for all-day meals, starting from early morning till midnight.


I highly appreciated the super warm service from all the attendants, starting from the very first greeting they delivered to you right at the doorstep. If you're the one who could bear sitting in the open space in the midst of this cold winter, they did offer a spacious area of outdoor seating. However if you're not, you needn't worry as the indoor one was even bigger, especially with additional space on the lower ground, which was open for reservation. 



As I earlier mentioned that the building aged more than a century, do expect the classic-style interior with the iconic red bricks. Since they also provided the answer to the wine lovers, you would see the back wall fully decorated with tons of wine bottles, exhibiting the options offered.  



Coming here at around lunch time, I could still enjoy their breakfast menu which was served up to 3pm. If you fancied some pastries, they were also available at the same schedule, being displayed at the bar area.

Beetroot, apple, ginger, lemon, aloe vera (£4.5)
Before having the dishes landed on our dining table, we had our thirst-quenchers being served first. My friend's pick was the healthy one, beetroot paired to apple like what you usually met elsewhere. Nonetheless, I ain't stop there as they did make it unique by adding more elements; ginger, lemon, and aloe vera. If the last duo made the overall juice being more refreshing, the first one did help taking the 'winter warmer' role.

Hot Cappuccino (£2.8)


My pick was my morning caffeine doze, coming in 7oz size in my guesstimate. A bold cup of cappuccino with slight hint of acidity. Great one to accompany my sunny weekend morning!

Sweet Potato Waffle with Bacon and Egg (£10)


Waiting for quite some time before the meals finally came, their presentation undeniably made us not being able to wait any longer to give'em a try. Starting from the golden brown friend, I would say the carbo base of the dish as the one dragged my attention at the first time, and also the one finally made it my choice. Well, sweet potato as the main ingredient for your waffle? Certainly uncommon I believed, and as you might have been able to imagine, it got that natural sweet taste coming from the sweet potato itself. Having the scrumptious base, the toppings played the right role as impeccable complements with their savory taste. Crispy flavorful bacon, sunny side up, and buttermilk dressing made an awesome trio in accompanying my yummy waffle. If I could only make one request to this dish, I would say that I should have requested for half-done egg just to ensure the yolk served more runny. 

Sourdough Toast with Mushroom, Bacon, Cheese, and Egg (£11)


Calling the first dish delectable, this second one was actually the award-winner, and surely my top recommendation for you to try if visiting Brixton Laundry. And yeah, recalling back, the pic of this dish was actually the one I spotted for the first time which got me hitched to this cafe. Like simply reading the dish name could already tell you that those ingredients it featured were just everything you wished have been put together on top of your sourdough. Despite mushrooms were the main actor, I had to admit the idea of combining it with small cuts of smoked bacon, cream cheese, and grana padano made the overall taste being way even better as each of them had their own way in enriching the overall play of flavors. Not to forget, when earlier I wished I had more runny yolk, this time the poached egg came with the precise texture, just like how I wished it to be. And oh yes, the price tag did tell you how abundant the toppings you got fella :)


Having seen how awesome my dining experience was, now you would have one more 'must-visit' place to be added into your London list :)


Taste: 7.5/10
Place: 8/10
Service: 8/10
Price: 7/10


Thanks for reading! :)


BRIXTON LAUNDRY
Address: 374 Coldharbour Lane, Brixton, London SW9 8PL
Phone: (+44) 20 8103 9384
Operating Hours: Sun - Wed 8.30am - 11pm, Thu - Sat 8.30am - 0am


No comments:

Post a Comment