Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Mother Mash, Home for Bangers and Mash

Say what for the very first London food-blog post of mine? Yeaaaayyyyy! Yeah I was seriously that happy being able to write this and hopefully it would keep coming. 

Spending my first weekend here as I just moved in by Friday, I didn’t wanna waste the chance despite it’s rainy, windy, and I felt like frozen. After having my Sunday Service, I decided to have something special from this city for lunch. Yep, the kind of dishes listed as the signature ones to try, and this time the choice fell on Bangers and Mash.



The dish was pretty simple indeed, featuring the couple of sausages and mashed potato. This was actually one of comfort food for the British and tons of restaurants did serve it. Making it easy for myself, I tried to find the closest one from the church and that’s why I opted for Mother Mash. 



I surely hadn’t made any reservation earlier but call me lucky, I got the last vacant seat (well perhaps the beauty of being alone). I could see long queue started to pile up outside as the venue was indeed quite petite, prolly able to accommodate only up to 20 people max.


The attendants were very nimble in handling the busy restaurant, though there seemed to be not many of them. The  house gave you the option of pairing the mashed potato with either sausages (£9.95) or pie (£10.95), from which I picked the first. Then next you needed to choose the type of mashed potato, sausages, and sauce you wanna combine into a trio. Mine was Champ (traditional Irish mash with butter, cheddar cheese, and spring onions), Cumberland (classic British pork with pepper), and Farmer’s (red wine, onion, smoked bacon, and mushroom). 

It didn’t take that long to get the dish served on my table, and the real one did look like most pics I saw. The mashed potato portion was super fulfilling for my kind of doze and the sausages which came in two pieces were just right. You always had the option to add more at £1.5 each.



I loved how smooth the mashed potato was, and the buttery hint was so lovely. Being a cheese lover, I just wished the cheese flavor could go bolder. If you didn’t take dairy product, they did serve non-dairy option. The vegan sausages were also available, but just to inform, the meat-based ones were all using pork. Picking the classic one, I really loved my option as it’s flavorful with strong pepper taste. The gravy sauce came as perfect companion, as it made the taste went richer, coming in the right thickness level. For my choice, the small bacon became extra ‘happiness’ to the dish. Apparently this traditional dish has able to got me hitched in the initial meeting!

Honestly I was really interested to try their selections of traditional desserts as well especially the Sticky Toffee Pudding, but sadly my tummy could no longer afford anything right away. This implied I already knew what to order for my upcoming visit *wink*. Besides, I would surely come back for their pies as well!


Taste: 7.5/10
Place: 7/10
Service: 7.5/10
Price: 7.5/10

Thanks for reading! :)


MOTHER MASH
Address: 26 Ganton Street, Soho, London W1F 7QZ
Phone: (+44) (0) 20 7494 9644
Operating Hours: Sun - Sat 8.30am - 10.00pm


No comments:

Post a Comment