Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Dotto Coffee

Ohh geez! Hearing your name only could bring me down into tears as I realized how much I missed Japan and the good old times there. Yeppp Dotto was derived from the word ‘Dot’, yeah that full-stop sign, which the Japanese pronounced as Dotto. I wasn’t really sure what the owner wanted to tell here by picking this particular name, but I did have a chat with the barista who shared a bit about the unique facts behind the sign they put on the paper cups. 



Only those who have visited this newly opened cafe at different timings who might have noticed that the symbol drawn on the paper cup were three different ones; circle, cross, and plus. Somehow looked like tic tac toe? Yeah it might appear alike, but no they’re not representing tic tac toe. Instead, there’s actually meaning behind each of them, representing the time man had daily. In the morning they would give the circle, reminding you of virtuous life cycle and routines you had to go through. Then starting the afternoon upon lunch, they would shift to the plus sign, showing that you’d passed half of your working day and definitely needed something to boost the energy just like this cup of coffee. Moving to the evening, they would change to the cross sign, showing it’s the end of the day and you had reached the time to stop and rest. What a wonderful concept behind, right? 


Sharing a bit about the petite venue, it actually occupied the front space of a nail salon. With only 2 tables at the indoor corner and 1 outside, I could say they’re pretty successful in setting up the space efficiently. It looked nice and cute actually, dominated by white and baby pink. 



The menu offered was still limited to drinks only, which were mostly coffee-based. Yes, they did still call themselves as to-go coffeeshop for now, where the guests would mostly stop-by, make their purchase then take their coffee to be enjoyed outside. Even the limited seats were there, simply for those who waited for their cups to be served or just wanted to have quick-refreshment. They used various beans, blended by the house. A couple of them I noticed were Morph and KLTR. 



Hot Cappuccino (IDR 32k)


On the menu, you could spot that they did try to satisfy various coffee preference as they gave the option of regular or strong. The barista told me that for the hot ones, usually they used Morph’s. So what’s finally landed on my table? Not hard to guess, one hot and one cold. First one was their Hot Cappuccino, which I unfortunately missed to tell the barista to make as strong. Thus, I had to take the regular one, which for my palate was slightly milky. Nonetheless, I loved how the coffee being aromatic and leaving smooth after-taste. I bet if I took the strong one I might have my morning coffee craving spoiled. 

Miruku (IDR 22k)


Then came the friend to the hot sunny day, Miruku! Sounded like cute Japanese doll? Haha, perhaps it’s only in my mind, but somehow I did feel it reminded me of something kawaii. In actual it’s a glass of cold brew mixed with brown sugar, for sure the traditional locally sourced one, just like the current hype you found anywhere in the town. If for the first cup I demanded stronger coffee touch, for this I hoped for bolder brown sugar flavor. Yeah perhaps it’s the matter of preference but I was in the boat that sought for the iconic brown sugar taste for any similar iced coffee kampung (the way we usually called this kind of iced coffee nowadays). 


In a nutshell, Dotto’s a nice place to stop by for a quick sip, to let yourself rest for awhile and get your spirit booster by having this cup of satisfaction (at least the way I called it, to replace what people sometimes mentioned as addiction).

Taste: 6.5/10
Place: 7/10
Service: 8/10
Price: 7/10


Thanks for reading! :)


DOTTO COFFEE
Address: Jl. Benda 54B, Jakarta
Operating Hours: Mon - Fri 7am - 7pm, Sat - Sun 9am - 6pm


Find me on:

No comments:

Post a Comment