Monday, September 18, 2017

The New Babies of Fat Shogun

Time did fly uber fast. Seemed like it's just weeks ago that I visited Fat Shogun for the very first time, while actually it's already months! If you've read my blog post on my premiere lunch experience here, you must have known how I was deeply in love with their unagi. 

As I've ever shared details behind the idea of this restaurant, for which they're carrying the concept of Japanese-Peruvian fusion, this time I wouldn't talk anymore about it. Nonetheless, you would definitely be able to access the information about that through this link. There you could also find out more about the interior and the ambiance. 

For this updated post, I would share more about the other dishes I tried from the selections they provided, giving you more references on the options you could go for when dining in here. 

Salmon Tostados (IDR 85k)


Somehow the presentation of the dish right away reminded me of Akira Back's infamous Tuna Pizza. Great news, this Nikkei style toasted tortilla looked richer as it featured much more components namely red pepper, cilantro, and edamame beans besides the main protein itself. 


Having the options of salmon or tuna, I went for the first, which totally got me blown away with its freshness. Every single bite was such indulgence having the salmon being so moist and flawlessly paired with the innovative spicy creamy wasabi sauce and a hint of truffle oil. Oh geez! I guessed I had to hold my saliva from dropping when writing on this and imagining what I just had on my dining table this noon!

Cheviche Rolls


The first new menu landed on the table, Cheviche Rolls! I wasn't sure what's actually featured in this sushi roll, yet my guesstimate told it's the Japanese mackerel, mixed with some other veggies. 


A classic and simple one that's simply comforting, though I couldn't call out as extraordinary. The distinction was surely the moist and fresh fish as well as the soft rice, which exactly matched the typical Japanese one. 

Chicken Rolls


If sushi rolls looked kinda mainstream, then let's welcome the chicken rolls. The shape might look similar, yet as the substitute to the carbo, this one served something more flavorful, chicken! There were other veggies served at the center part as the stuffings, including avocado, red pepper, and tomato. 


The sauce on top further enriched the taste, making it a more interesting option to go for when you're bored with the common sushi, especially if you wanted to go for something aside from seafood. 

Aroz con Patto


Sounded Peruvian enough? Well yes I guessed it's indeed a Peruvian dish, especially having that gigantic grilled chicken as the main component. If I might call it as a common man, I would mention it as fried rice with grilled chicken. The fried rice was actually cooked in quite common seasoning having savory taste and mixed with some beans including corns. The chicken as the key highlight of the plate did have lovely sauce that's well-infused till the inner layer. Nonetheless, if it might come in more tender and juicier texture, it would be far more addictive!

Udon Carbonara


Bluntly speaking, as almost all dishes besides the desserts were arriving at the table at almost the same time, my brain automatically set ranks towards each of them. Yeah for sure because I hadn't tasted all of them, the order was only based on appearance and aroma. While I ranked the Salmon Tostados first due to its appealing look and seductive fragrance, this carbonara came next. 


It might be not as gorgeous as that appetizer, yet the scent wasn't less competitive and in fact, for those loving creamy pasta sauce like this one, that pale color didn't matter and it's still feeling like calling you to give a try. Having the first spoon, I found myself not being able to stop taking and munching some more. The truffle oil mixed in this creamy pasta sauce was such heavenly indulgence complementing the udon, which I really wanna blame as it made the whole dish irresistible! The shredded chicken was another 'drug', turning the taste to be far more amusing with its scrumptious savory flavor. Must must must have!

Matcha Lava Cake (IDR 55k)
Neither something so rarely met, nor something too generic; yes perhaps it's the best way to call this buddy. What made it special particularly for me was I loved lava cake and green tea was one of my favorite flavors <3. Married into one, it seemed to prove what Taytay had said that 'two's better than one'. 


That impeccably molten green tea filling, which burst out at the very first cut wasn't only good-looking, but also proving itself incredibly yummy. It didn't come itself as the white chocolate ice cream was served next to it making a great companion. The extra bonus of almond crumble was surely lovely and even turned to be the first I easily finished. 

Yuca Mochi 


Again because one's never enough, we opted for two desserts. If the first one was palatable but might be quite common, this was a distinction, mainly made of cassava. Though it was called as Mochi, it didn't contain anything related to this glutinous rice balls. It somehow reminded me of traditional homemade cassava cake I used to have when I was in elementary school, made by my talented housemaid. Being in between airy and dense, and not overly sweet for my palate, the cake was such comforting dessert. It didn't come by its own as there's the coconut sorbet there as the pair, whose flavor was so unique carrying the twist of sweet and salty. If you thought dessert wasn't a must-have, you'd better re-consider if you really wanna miss this chance :p


Finishing my second lunch at Fat Shogun, I would even say that I fell in love deeper with this place and its dishes, being so creative in mixing and matching various ingredients. While at my first visit I was sold by the eel, now I was strongly hitched by the truffle! Having said so, I guessed it wouldn't take long to meet the third one.


Taste: 8.5/10
Place: 9/10
Service: 8.5/10
Price: 8/10



Thanks for reading! :)


FAT SHOGUN

Address: Menara BTPN R Floor, Mega Kuningan, Jakarta
Phone: (+62) 2295 8196
Operating Hours: Sun - Thu 11am - 00am, Fri - Sat 11am - 2am


Find me on:
Inputs & comments: jessicagaby@ymail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment