Thursday, May 25, 2017

Mao Ki?

Firstly hearing the name of Maoki, I was making a joke with my sister as 'Mao Ki?' in the local language of our beloved hometown Makassar meant 'Do you want?'. Over-hearing our conversation, my friend who had been there surprisingly told us that what we're talking about was indeed the meaning behind the name, as the owner of Maoki was from Makassar as well! What a funny coincidence!



The minimalist venue resided at the ground floor of Dharmawangsa Square, close to the main entrance and connected to a hairdresser. As the building had dedicated parking space, thus finding your parking spot wouldn't be a big deal here (I spotted some smiles on the face ;) ). 


Despite that the outlet's not that spacious, they did provide outdoor seating with few tables. I even admitted they're smart in arranging the venue's setting to make it get to the most optimum level in relation to capacity. Moreover, though it's not a single-stand building, the design was pretty homey with calming white-dominated walls, beautifully complemented by simple hanging plants and flower pots. 



The arrays of dishes listed on the menu might be something in between snacks and heavy meals especially for 'Indonesian tummy', which mostly get its complete satisfaction only by rice. Perhaps the only dish fulfilling that requirement would be fried rice. Nonetheless, I still found this place favorable as I was anyway not that much into rice. Whereas for you who loved rice, you might treat this as your light meals or snacks, or even tantalizing breakfast idea since they open their doors starting early in the morning!




Mao Kopi? (IDR 24k)



Trying to find the thirst-quencher first, my eyes spotted this signature drink of Maoki on the menu. Such an attention drawer as the name was written with a question mark in the end. It didn't take me long to call it out as my order, especially because the waitress did mention that it's indeed one of the most-frequent picks of the guests. It was said to be iced milk coffee mixed with pandan syrup, yet my taste bud could barely find the pandan flavor in it. For me it's similar to common iced milk coffee, so not a bad one yet nothing in particular that stood out. 

Grandma's Magic Cake (IDR 35k)


Another lucky coincidence for me (gladly, believe it or not, I experienced quite much lucky coincidence recently! Or perhaps I'd rather mention it as I received abundant blessings lately), the day I visited Maoki was also the day they're offering 'Buy-one-get-one' promo for their Grandma's Cake. Called as their favorite cake, I surely wouldn't miss to order it. As we had promo, so 1 for each and said bye to sharing this time! 



When I first spotted the cake's picture, I thought it would be a cheesecake-alike one. Nevertheless, this 3-layer cake made of fudge, custard, and sponge cake, was nothing like what I had in mind. Despite that the slightly eggy taste didn't really suit my palate, the vanilla flavor was kind of balancing it and kept it stay indulging. The 3 different texture was also a nice combination that altogether melted awesomely in the mouth. It's such a great idea to serve the cake with strawberry coulis and vanilla ice cream, giving the overall dish a richer blend of taste with additional sweet and sour flavors. 

Classic Quiche Lorraine - Mushroom (IDR 40k)


Surprise surprise, this time my favorite wasn't the dessert but the savory dish! Yessss I loved this mushroom quiche to bits as the marriage of flaky pastry crust and moist stuffings of spinach and mushroom was so tantalizing. My biggest crush would doubtlessly be the bold cheese taste in the quiche, so good that I was even already craving for it when writing this sentence. The happiness didn't end there as you would have creamy custard, sour cream, and veggies to accompany the quiche itself. Paying IDR 40k for this scrumptious fulfilling quiche? You might call me nuts if I said no. 



Having said that, for you who were having your radar around South area, you were surely the lucky ones, being able to stop by Maoki early in the morning and get your day kick-started by their champion breakfast menus!


Taste: 8/10
Place: 7.5/10
Service: 8.5/10
Price: 8/10


Thanks for reading! :)


MAOKI COFFEE AND FOOD
Address: Dharmawangsa Square City Walk, GF no. 58 - 59, Jakarta
Operating Hours: Mon - Sun 7am - 9pm


Find me on:
Inputs & comments: jessicagaby@ymail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment